I received my PhD from the University of São Paulo (USP) in Brazil, under the supervision of professor Dr. Marco Aurélio Gerosa. Over the years I have also worked in close collaboration with IEEE Felow and HP Labs senior researcher Dr. Dejan Milojicic. Currently, I'm joining him and HP Labs in their largest research project ever called The Machine, which aims to reshape the current paradigms of computing.Main topics of interest: Software Engineering, Software Architecture, Service-Oriented Computing, Software Maintenance & Evolution, Big Data Analytics and Statistical Learning, Static Analysis, Mining Software Repositories, and Empirical Software Engineering.
1) Change Coupling between Software Artifacts: Learning from Past Changes
Gustavo A. Oliva and Marco A. Gerosa. The Art and Science of Analyzing Software Data, ed. Christian Bird, Tim Menzies, and Thomas Zimmermann. Morgan Kaufmann, 1st edition, 2015.
2) An Integrated Development and Runtime Environment for the Future Internet
Amira B. Hamida, Fabio Kon, Gustavo A. Oliva, Carlos E. M. dos Santos, Jean-Pierre Lorré, Marco Autili, Guglielmo de Angelis, Apostolo Zarras, Nikolaos Georgantas, Valérie Issarny, and Antonia Bertolino. FIA: The Future Internet Assembly – From Promises to Reality. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2012.
1) Using contextual information to predict co-changes
Igor S. Wiese, Reginaldo Ré, Igor Steinmacher, Rodrigo T. Kuroda, Gustavo A. Oliva, Christoph Treude, Marco A. Gerosa. Accepted for publication in Journal of Systems and Software (JSS) - Special Issue on Context for Software Development. Elsevier, 2016. (Impact factor: 1.424)
2) A Static Change Impact Analysis Approach based on Metrics and Visualizations to Support the Evolution of Workflow Repositories
Gustavo A. Oliva, Marco A. Gerosa, Fabio Kon, Dejan Milojicic, and Virginia Smith. International Journal of Web Services Research (IJWSR) - Special Issue on Data Quality in Big Data and Trust. IGI Global, 2016. (Impact factor: 0.257)
3) Evolving the System’s Core: A Case Study on the Identification and Characterization of Key Developers in Apache Ant
Gustavo A. Oliva, José Teodoro da Silva, Marco A. Gerosa, Francisco W. Santana, Claudia M. L. Werner, Cleidson R. B. de Souza, and Kleverton C. M. de Oliveira. Computing and Informatics (CAI) - Special Issue on Selected Papers from CRIWG 2012. Slovak Academy of Sciences, 2015. (Impact factor: 0.524)
4) Do historical metrics and developers communication aid to predict change couplings?
Igor S. Wiese, Rodrigo T. Kuroda, Reginaldo Ré, Rodrigo S. Bulhões, Gustavo A. Oliva, Marco A. Gerosa. IEEE Latin America Transactions (IEEE TLA), 2015. [Written in Brazilian Portuguese] (Impact factor: 0.436)
5) A Systematic Literature Review of Service Choreography Adaptation.
Leonardo A. F. Leite, Gustavo A. Oliva, Guilherme M. Nogueira, Marco A. Gerosa, Fabio Kon, and Dejan Milojicic. Service-Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA), 2013. Springer-Verlag London. (Impact factor: 0.6184)
1) Experience report: How do structural dependencies influence change propagation? An empirical study.
Gustavo A. Oliva, Marco A. Gerosa. IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE), 2015.
2) An Empirical Study of the Relation Between Strong Change Coupling and Defects Using History and Social Metrics in the Apache Aries Project. Igor S. Wiese, Rodrigo T. Kuroda, Reginaldo Ré, Gustavo A. Oliva, and Marco A. Gerosa. International Conference on Open Source Systems (OSS), 2015.
3) Why Statically Estimate Code Coverage is So Hard? A Report of Lessons Learned.
Maurício F. Aniche, Gustavo A. Oliva, and Marco A. Gerosa. International Conference on Open Source Systems (OSS), 2015.
4) Using Structural Holes Metrics from Communication Networks to Predict Change Dependencies.
Igor S. Wiese, Rodrigo T. Kuroda, Douglas N. R. Junior, Reginaldo Ré, Gustavo A. Oliva, Marco A. Gerosa. International Conference on Collaboration and Technology (CRIWG), 2014.
5) A Change Impact Analysis Approach for Workflow Repository Management.
Gustavo A. Oliva, Marco A. Gerosa, Dejan S. Milojicic, Virginia Smith. Internaitonal Conference on Web Services (ICWS), 2013. (Invited for Special Issue)
6) Characterizing Key Developers: A Case Study with Apache Ant.
Gustavo A. Oliva, Francisco W. Santana, Kleverton C. M. de Oliveira, Cleidson R. B. de Souza, and Marco A. Gerosa. International Conference on Collaboration and Technology (CRIWG), 2012. (Invited for Special Issue)
7) What do the Asserts in a Unit Test Tell us about Code Quality? A Study on Open Source and Industrial Projects.
Maurício F. Aniche, Gustavo A. Oliva, Marco A. Gerosa. European Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (CSMR), 2013.
1) Are the methods in your data access objects (DAOs) in the right place? A preliminary study
Maurício F. Aniche, Gustavo A. Oliva, Marco A. Gerosa. IEEE International Workshop on Managing Technical Debt (MTD), 2014.
2) What can commit metadata tell us about design degradation?
Gustavo A. Oliva, Igor Steinmacher, Igor S. Wiese, Marco A. Gerosa. International Workshop on Principles of Software Evolution (IWPSE) 2013.
3) Preprocessing Change-Sets to Improve Logical Dependencies Identification.
Gustavo A. Oliva, Francisco W. Santana, Cleidson R. B. de Souza, Marco A. Gerosa. International Workshop on Software Quality and Maintainability (SQM), 2012.
1) Scholarships from HP Brazil for The Machine and Baile projects
2) Scholarship from European Commission FP7 Programme (CHOReOS Project)
3) Scholarship from Capes and CNPq - Visiting Research Student at Queen's University for 5 months in 2014.